Friday, January 22, 2016

The Once and Future King

Last semester I had the blessing of taking an English course called Arthurian Legend and Literature. So basically everything about King Arthur, after King Arthur, somehow relating to King Arthur was our course. Now, the course itself was kind of boring because our class wasn't into the idea of class discussion so it was mostly a sit and listen class. But the content was cool. And it planted the King Arthur obsession in my head. So now I have King Arthur on the mind. All. The. Time.

Even yesterday, I tied something in my Shakespeare class to King Arthur. And two days ago, I was reading the assignment for my Irish Literature class and for some reason thought it was talking about King Arthur so all I could picture was Arthur in battle and something that was totally not in the text.

It's a slight problem.

I wasn't very prompt with the readings for that class... I regret not keeping up with the readings (but apparently it didn't affect my grade too much because I got an A! Wuhoo). My friend and I presented on a movie from 1942 called King Arthur Was a Gentleman which basically uses the King Arthur Legend as a way to pump up the British people for World War II and used the legend as propaganda. Then this led to us writing a (really really good) research paper on the use of the King Arthur legend during World War II in general—both on the ally and the axis sides.

So now I can almost relate anything back to King Arthur.

And then I started the BBC series Merlin on Netflix and holy guacamole is it good. If you need a new show on Netflix to watch, watch Merlin. It's fabulous and I'm obsessed. And let's face it, the idea of knights and courts and kingdoms is super awesome and who wouldn't like it? (If you're cynical, don't answer that. It was kind of a rhetorical question. If you are positive then the answer is: "No one because everyone likes that shit.)

I'm not going to review two of the books I actually read for that class last semester (but shhhh don't tell anyone what a bad student I was) because there isn't much to say that wouldn't be a complete summary. The books are good, but they are in an older English and it isn't going to be a quick read if that's what you are expecting.

Merlin and the Grail by Robert de Boron and Le Mortre Darthur by Sir Thomas Malory, congratulations on making my reading list for Fall 2015.


SOP: Out of the Woods by Taylor Swift


No comments:

Post a Comment