Monday, January 11, 2016

I'm Actually Terrible at New Year's Resolutions

No really. I am. Bad at New Year's Resolutions, that is. I'm not really sure why, but once I investigate I'll let you know. I also have a tendency to put off making a Resolution/goal until the last minute. I'm not very timely in establishing these life improvements,

I have a strong feeling that it's because of my laziness. Honestly, it probably is.
Last year's Resolution(s): train for the half marathon that I ran in April, blog more consistently.

I did run the half marathon, but I did a terrible job of training for it. Honestly, I'm surprised I finished it with how little I trained.
I was really good about blogging more consistently, but, as you've realized, it stopped in August.

Maybe my problem is that bigger and better things distract me from my Resolution(s) or maybe I just don't care enough. Or maybe 365 days is just a really long time and I forget how long a year really is.

I still have yet to announce a New Year's Resolution. Maybe I'll just forgo one altogether. As of right now, I have established goals for the semester. It's a shorter time frame and I can put all of my focus in that immediate goal. Goals include: 4.0 GPA this semester, I will actually train for the half marathon this year (no really I will), read more physical books (aka use the kindle less). That's all I have, for now. There's always time to create more goals.



Now I have my first round of reviews! YAY!!

But don't get too excited... because I'm *cough* lazy *cough* and did the second shortest groups of reviews first. So enjoy this piece of moldy bread I'm throwing you. (Because you're totally sitting around waiting for my fingers to run across the keyboard and proclaim the great wonders that are swirling in my brain. lol. yes I'm being sarcastic.)

So here are the Non-School Book Reviews:

Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton
Started: December 21, 2015
Finished: December 28, 2015
Stars: 5/5

If you didn’t know this about me, I love dinosaurs. LIKE OBSESSED. It’s reached the point where I have a pterodactyl pillow pet named Terry that some of my friends (yes I have friends) call Peter because that’s real alliteration. Seriously, dinosaurs are the coolest thing ever. We would be screwed if they weren’t extinct. Just saying. Like velociraptors are scary as hell. That’s what I would want to be in the Jurassic Period. Or a pterodactyl because they are vicious.

Anyway. Back to the book.
Michael Crichton is a genius. If you like dinosaurs, even just a little bit, read this book. Its astounding. The math and the graphs that are included in the book make it seem real (but thank God it isn’t real). The characters are a little flat, but I don’t think that affects the overall appeal of the book because it is so action packed and often switches between the different perspectives of the characters. Sometimes it was difficult to differentiate which perspective you were reading, but I got so wrapped up in the plot and the action that it didn’t really matter. 

Geez this book was so good. And I love dinosaurs even more than I did before I read this book, and I don’t know how that’s really possible. 

[this was the book published in my birth year for my 2015 Reading Challenge]

The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin
Started: December 28, 2015
Finished: December 29, 2015
Stars: 4/5

Do you like reading? Do you like books? Do you like all forms of literature? Do you like quirky characters that have characteristics where you see yourself in them? If you answered yes to these simple questions then you’ll like this book.

It’s a pretty easy read. The characters are likable and realistic— they aren’t muddied by the authors expectations of who she wants her protagonists to be. They face real life issues and personality traits. And they react to these developments in human ways. There weren’t eye rolls on my end where I was annoyed by the ridiculousness the author created because the situation was unrealistic or the character was just damn annoying.

There was a plot twist that was completely unnecessary. I mean really? I won’t say what it is, I won’t spoil the book for you, but I was annoyed by the damn plot twist that, in my opinion, just overcomplicated the book and the characters. 

[this was the book recommended by a friend for my 2015 Reading Challenge]

Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder
Started: August 21, 2015
Finished: August 26, 2015
Stars: 3/5

I remember when I read this book I really enjoyed it. But now, 6 months later, I don’t quite remember what I wanted to say about his book in a review. I actually really enjoyed it the more I think about it. I want to read the rest of the series. 

I can tell you that it’s fantasy. It features a strong female lead. There’s magic involved with military and power. If you need another fantasy fix like The Winner’s Curse or Throne of Glass then pick this one up and give it a shot. You’ll like it. 

Lair of Dreams by Libba Bray
Started: August 26, 2015
Finished: November 28, 2015
Stars: 3/5

Don’t judge me. The reason it took me so long to read this book is because school is busy. Classes require lots of reading and, sadly, my homework was not to read Bray’s book (and the book is 613 pages so naturally it’s going to take me some time). 

The thing I love most about The Diviners books is that the characters are so dynamic and diverse. I love that they are all intertwined in one way or another and the sense of adventure is so real and consuming. Granted I do think there are a lot of major characters from whose perspective we read. Sometimes it’s a lot to remember what character was doing what (especially when you space the book out over 4 months). 

I love the dialect and the time period Bray uses in this book. And the imagery she creates is beautiful, even when it’s set in the pits of the subway system. 

The book was a little slow until page 300. It needed (and used) a lot of space to provide the back story and set up the book. Jericho didn’t seem to have a major role in the book and I was upset because he is my fave!!!!!! I felt like the action was too rushed because it happened so close to the end of the book. I just wanted to finish it and didn’t relish in the action. 

[this was my book with a love-triangle for my 2015 Reading Challenge]


November 9 by Colleen Hoover
Started: November 9, 2015
Finished: November 11, 2015
Stars: 4/5

Bless you Colleen Hoover. I don’t think she has it in her to write a bad book. Ever. Each character is different and beautifully written and EVERY SINGLE ONE PULLS ON MY HEART STRINGS. (Caps make me feel better— like I’ve truly expressed my feelings, if you hadn’t already noticed that.) 

Fallon and Ben create this great romance surrounded around the hope of one single day each year. They have their own demons to battle throughout the story and you can’t help but fall in love with Ben and sympathize with Fallon (who may be my new favorite female lead. If not favorite then very close second to Layken from Slammed).

If you haven’t read a Colleen Hoover book, I don’t know what you’re doing with your life. No really. Stop reading me babble on this stupid blog and go read one of her books now! I would recommend this one or my fave Slammed or Ugly Love. Go forth my friends. Read her books. Embrace the wonder that is Colleen Hoover and then come back and read me babble. 

[this book was my book with a number in the title for my 2015 Reading Challenge]



Peace and Love. 


No comments:

Post a Comment