Thursday, January 14, 2016

New Year New Reading Challenge

First off, that whole saying "new year, new me" is just way to easy to manipulate to your immediate descriptive needs. Just saying. It's just so easy to twist! So my apologies if I use it an obnoxious amount. I swear it's all on purpose and for my own entertainment. (Plus it only usually lasts for the month of January and, on the rare year—maybe on a leap year or something— February too.)

I'm still "reading " Gone With the Wind by Melissa Mitchell. I'm still 22% finished. I, however, did not take it with me to school in the fall nor am I taking it to school this spring. I'm thinking it will be strictly a summer-time read because its so damn big.

Unfortunately, I did not complete my 2015 Reading Challenge that consisted of 55 books. I read 45 of those books. So, in order to remedy the situation, not only did I find the 2016 Reading Challenge, but I also added the ones that I didn't complete last year to this year's challenge. I feel better already.
Here's the link to the new 2016 Reading Challenge if you're up for it (do it. it's fun, it's challenging, and it broadens your reading experience).

I adjusted the Challenge slightly... I am not a fan of graphic novels or self-improvement books so I took those off the list. I also added one/replaced those. The only one I added (other than the unfinished disappointments from last year) is "a book that you've been putting off." So there. No explanation needed.
 I'm still working on those book reviews from last year, but give me time! There are a lot. They'll come in due time!

Furiously Happy: A Funny Book About Horrible Things by Jenny Lawson
Started: January 9, 2016
Finished: January 11, 2016
Stars: 4/5

Holy crapola. This book was hilarious. She's hilarious. And she talks about something that we tend to overlook, or disregard in our society: mental illness.

It's not so much a taboo in our society anymore (at least I don't think so), mental illness, that is. But I still think it's a touchy subject for us to discuss openly and without judgement because the mind and how each individual reacts to stresses are such fickle things. I think Jenny Lawson did an incredible of describing not only how her illnesses have affected her life, but how she reacts to them. She stresses the importance of just being yourself and knowing the limits of your body and your mind.

And let me tell ya, Jenny is perfectly comfortable in her own skin. Her stories are unique and personal and funny.

Seriously, if you need a laugh-out-loud book that makes you realize you're not the only one, read this one.

[this book was my book by a comedian for my 2016 Reading Challenge]


SOP: Wolves by One Direction
[So what? I like One Direction, sue me.]

Peace Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment