Monday, September 26, 2016

Look Who's Back [it's me]

I seem to do this a lot: take a hiatus from you my loyal readers either because I don't know what to say and/or I can't seem to manage my time well enough to plan for how busy I am/what all I need to do. Two things I'm really good at: procrastinating and thinking I have all the time in the world. Usually I don't.

So I'll update you on my life. It's been ten months since I last logged my very riveting thoughts on the internet. A lot has happened since then.
I celebrated my 21st birthday in May, and am now legal to drink the alcohol. Very liberating.

I traveled abroad to China for 3 weeks with a university centered group. I'll probably contribute those details in the near future (if I can ever find the time/motivation/words to do so).

Also traveled to Telluride, Colorado and hiked a ton (yes that is a very specific amount). I love nature.

I also attended Lollapallooza in Chicago and heard some AMAZING bands/artists play and just share the music. That should be a separate post. It deserves it.

Also, I am now a senior (GASP) and I don't like it. If you know anything about me, it's that 1) I avoid conflict, and 2) I can never make a damn decision. So naturally, I have no idea (no one small idea) as to what I want to do after I graduate. If you have any suggestions, please send them my way. I need all the help I can get at this point.
And Senior year sucks. Don't do it. Avoid it at all costs. Be a freshman all your life. Don't take this advice lightly!!

So obviously, I've read a lot since May. I had to downsize my reading goal from 120 to 110, because I just did not have the time to read 3+ books per week. That sucked honestly. So since then I have read 45 books. It was summer and I had more free time than usual. I won't bore you with 45 book reviews, but I'll hit the highlights.



Cruel Crown by Victoria Aveyard
Started: May 7, 2016
Finished: May 11, 2016
Stars: 3.5/5

I read this after the high that is Glass Sword and I just needed a fix. I needed back into that world. I'm like a book addict. Victoria Aveyard could write a shopping list and I would read it and probably fall in love with it. It contained 2 (count 'em 2) stories and they were all the more enlightening. They really helped with the perspective of the series overall.
The first novella was so haunting and beautiful. It's about Cal's mom, Queen Coriane, and how she became queen. It was so sad!!! Ugh.
And then the second novella was about Farley before she met Mare in the Stilts. It wasn't quite what I was expecting and I don't know if it really helped the reader better understand Farley. I wanted more about Farley and Shade or Farley behind the scenes of Red Queen or about Farley and her family. It seemed oddly timed and not really helpful for the overall plot of the Red Queen story.

I also learned that the next installment comes out in February and you better believe that I am stoked beyond belief for King's Cage.


Lord of the Flies by William Golding
Started: May 15, 2016
Finished: May 16, 2016
Stars: 3/5

Preface: my sister needed to write a research paper on any banned book and she chose this one. I was also home by the time she needed to actually write the paper and the outline, so naturally, me being an English major, I was recruited to help her with the paper. You're groaning in your chair right now, but I was hella excited. THIS IS MY JOB!!! ITS SO MUCH FUN!!!!

So I read the novel (this banned novel) to better assist her with the analysis and summary and to help her better write her paper. (she got an A btw, cuz she's related to me and she's brilliant by association).

Honestly, this book is dark. It has humor but the overall concept and the plot is dark and depressing. The idea of kids surviving on an island together and their being a power struggle with such violence and hatred is startling. Which is probably why it's banned on some school board or in some library.
This is a classic so if you need me to summarize it for you, you could honestly read it within a day or two and find out the fun for yourself!

[this was my "book set on an island" for my 2016 Reading Challenge]


The Winner's Kiss by Marie Rutkoski
Started: May 10, 2016
Finished: May 17, 2016
Stars: 3.5

I think the issue with this book was that I built it up too much before reading it. I had been a year since I read the first two and I had some high hopes. Overall, this just seemed like flat ending to this series. I loveeeddddd the first two. I thought they had so much substance and possibilities for the third one. But it just didn't do it for me. I remember having to push myself to finish this one. Not the writing was bad, but that the plot didn't hook me. I could predict how it ended and the conflicts in the middle just didn't intrigue me. Sorry Marie. I love your fictional and scholarly work, but this one just didn't hit the high notes.

[this was my "book published in 2016" for my 2016 Reading Challenge]


Queen of Shadows by Sarah J. Maas
Started: May 19, 2016
Finished: May 22, 2016
Stars: 4.3/5

If you take one thing away from this whole post, let it be that Sarah J. Maas is a mastermind and I would read her grocery list in a second. Her writing is incredible and it is a dream of mine to be only half as good of a writer and plotter as she is.

I started this in the middle of the school year last year and couldn't finish it because I was so busy. So I picked it back up in May and started from the beginning and read it in one weekend. Three days. THREE. DAYS. 648 incredible pages absolutely devoured in 3 days. What a concept.

Honestly, you never know what to expect in her books. I can never predict them. I struggle with anticipating them before I read them because her plots are so out of this world. Her characters have so many complexities and you can't help but relate to every. single. one. of. them. It's incredible. She is able to weave in out of all of her characters' perspectives so fluidly and you don't even realize what she's doing until you've finished. And it doesn't matter if the book is 200 pages or 700 pages, you want to breeze through it because she reels you in like any good fisherman does. Bless your crafty writing creative hands, Sarah Maas.

["Young Adult Bestseller Book" for my 2016 Reading Challenge, though I argue that it's a little mature for YA and should be considered as New Adult, but what do I know.]


That's all I have for now. Ideally, I'll update you soon with the rest of the books and other fun events that are going on in my life. It's really not that exciting, but it's your choice.

SOP: Stone Cold by Demi Lovato
I am going through a Demi phase because she is such a cool person. And has an incredible voice. So go check her new stuff out.

No comments:

Post a Comment