Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Me and Austen and Shakespeare

I recently (and finally) watched Me and Earl and the Dying Girl. If you recall (or you could just go look at my review for the book version), I'm not a fan of the book. The characters were flat to me and Greg was just a asshole with zero redeeming qualities. Thankfully, the movie is not like the book in that aspect. Greg has some humanity to him and he actually becomes friends with Rachel. In the book I got the feeling that Greg felt indifferent about everything, especially Rachel and his friendship with her.

I enjoyed the movie. I thought it did a good job of portraying human emotion and human experience, with the added challenge of high school. It's depressing though. I definitely do not remember feeling that sad when I read the book. Rachel was obviously the best character. Then Earl. Then Greg. If you wanted to know my preference. (Cuz you totally did. I know it.)

Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare
Started: January 25, 2016
Finished: January 26, 2016
Stars: 4/5

Have you seen She's The Man? Then you've seen a modern interpretation of this play. Granted, Amanda Bynes makes it hilarious and feminist as hell, but still it's based off of Twelfth Night. This may be one of my favorite Shakespeare plays. I love all of the gender confusion and feminism and Viola is my fave. She's great. And you can't help but laugh at the Duke Orsino because he's ridiculous and dramatic in the woes of love and blah blah blah. Just men making fools of themselves is hilarious.

[this book is my "book set during Christmas" for my 2016 Reading Challenge]


Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
Started: January 21, 2016
Finished: January 31, 2016
Stars: 4/5

Introducing Elinor. One of my new fave Austen heroines. Elinor is quiet and composed, yet logical and smart and humble and SO COOL. I think she is the most relatable of Austen's heroines because anyone can relate to her. Marianne can get a little annoying at times, but you can't help but sympathize with you because she is young and naive and only announces publicly what everyone else wants in their life. The only awkward component of S&S is the heroes: they aren't really anything special. But I really loved Colonel Brandon. Most people are indifferent towards him, but, next to Elinor, he is my fave in this book. I really loved the friendship between Elinor and Colonel Brandon and think it was severely underrated.

[this book was my "book that is 100 years or older than you" for my 2016 Reading Challenge]


The Taming of the Shrew by William Shakespeare
Started: February 10, 2016
Finished: February 15, 2016
Stars: ?/5

I'm very confused on how I feel about this play. I don't know how to read it. Is it a satire? Is Shakespeare being literal in his description of Petruchio's abuse? I  D O N 'T  K N O W. I love Katharina. I am positive that she is a semi-feminist character, at least up until the last two Acts... But who the heck knows.


Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Started: February 6, 2016
Finished: February 13, 2016
Stars:

This is the third time I've read this book. I read it for the first time in 7th grade and I call it "my gateway book." It's the book that made me love reading. I read it again in high school and, now, I suppose it's appropriate to read it again in college.

I have forgotten how much I loved this book. It just makes me so happy. There is no way that you could hate this book. I'm sorry there just isn't. It's funny and romantic with social commentary and challenges the social standards. Lizzy is funny and witty and totally does not follow how a lady is supposed to act and it's great.


Hey, did you notice that my reviews for this post were either Jane Austen or William Shakespeare? Well, that's my life this semester because I'm taking a Perspectives on Jane Austen class and a Shakespeare Comedies and Histories class. Sorry if you don't like either of them. But that's life. I will be having a boatload of fun this semester! Yippee. No really. I'm not being facetious. It's going to be so fun.

SOP: Over My Head by Fleetwood Mac






No comments:

Post a Comment