Monday, March 23, 2015

There are reasons for my madness.

Writing is fun, but I find that lately whenever I get started, I hit a wall within 30 minutes. I can’t find any inspiration it seems. My response for my writer’s block is just reading more. This is my reasoning for not updating my own writing and blog writing/book reviews and I’m sorry. 
Reading is my best friend for a multitude of reasons:
  • I can escape my problems and my anxiety just by opening a book and getting lost in the fictitious world.
  • I get to go on adventures in fantastical universes and during different time periods and it only cost me $10.99.
  • I am in awe of so many different writing styles and new words within a week.
  • Sometimes I get new ideas for my writing as I read or most likely after I read.
  • It is a semi-productive way for me to procrastinate school work or work that I actually need to do.


Those are only just a few of my reasons to read and, if you’re like me, and having an anxiety attack or worrying about problems that really aren’t that big a deal, pick up a book and just forget about your worries for an hour. You may have the same same panic attack return, but you’ll feel a little better.
But don’t live your life solely on my average blog. I’m not a professional, even though I like to think I am. 

So now that you know why I read way too much in the span of one week or even a month… Here are some book reviews for you.


Scarlet by Marissa Meyer
Stars: 6/5
Started: March 19, 2015
Finished: March 21, 2015

As you may recall, I am an English major, therefore absolutely horrid at math— see the above improper fraction for the rating I’m giving Scarlet. Haha I think I’m funny. Anyway, this has been my favorite book in the Lunar Chronicles (TLC) so far. Hence my improper rating. IT WAS SO GOOD. I loved the narration, the colliding of storylines by Cinder and Thorne with Scarlet and Wolf. 
Scarlet is my favorite TLC character followed by Thorne if anyone is curious. I often discuss the character dynamics in my reviews and how well there written. Well, I feel that with these books each character is so well developed that their narrations are easily distinguishable from the others because they each have their own different and unique voice. Scarlet’s character is by far my favorite. She is the most realistic, I think. She is driven to act by her impulses and is a little too blunt and rash for my taste, but her character is realistic and more relatable— she’s not some long lost princess and just now discovered that and she hasn’t been locked away from society for the majority of her life. I find it more difficult to relate to Cinder and Cress because of those reasons. 

Thorne. I was annoyed by him at first because of how he reacted to Cinder in the prison. But I have a soft spot for literary sarcastic and pretentious assholes (eg: Noah Shaw, Will Herondale, Jace Herondale, Chaol Westfall, Mr. Darcy, to name a few). His comments were the comic relief for the whole book (and for Cress). He is a consistent character. 

Wolf’s character was so mysterious throughout the book and remains so. His character was one of the reasons why I was turing the pages so quickly, eager to know what happened. And I didn't not see his methods or motivations coming— it totally caught me by surprise.

I really love how Marissa follows the original fairytale, she adds her on spin on the tale and doesn't even follow it too closely. It makes it seem like you aren't reading an adaptation of the fairytale but this futuristic adventure tale of strong, independent and different heroines.  

[this book was my “title with a color in it” for my 2015 Reading Challenge]

Cress by Marissa Meyer
Stars: 4.5/5
Started: March 21, 2015

Finished: March 23, 2015

[spoilers ahead]

On Goodreads I rated this 5 stars because I really wanted to give it more than 4, but not on the level of a 5 so I rounded up to 5 (I really hate how you can't give half a star on Goodreads). Anyway, at first Cress's excessive innocence and the way she fawned all over Thorne annoyed me. But I realize that was the whole point of her situation. She was supposed to be way too naive for her own good because she was literally excluded by society for her entire life. If you think of it, she's really well socialized for her situation. The fact that she can communicate at all is representative of that. But even though she's been secluded and completely ignorant of the world(s) around her, she is still brave and strong in her own unique way. She wants to fight for the good, rather than blindly assisting the bad and that takes guts. I think that she is the true role model of TLC because of her gut instinct that she follows throughout the book.

Again, Thorne made me laugh throughout the whole book. He made light of his situation (being blind and all). I was pissed that Scarlet got kidnapped. Like what the hell. She's my favorite character and you're just gonna exclude her from the 550 page book?!!?! And leave Wolf just trembling with depression?!?!?! I get that she had a couple chapters (3) and she has to interact with Winter, but SERIOUSLY????? WHY DID IT HAVE TO BE SCARLET???

[this was my "book from the future" for my 2015 Reading Challenge]

If you haven't read TLC yet, you need to because they are all so well written and creative and adventurous and just so fun to read. So many twists and turns. 

This is probably my fave YouTube channel, the BBC Live Lounge. Famous artists singing covers of other popular songs live and it's just great. Check it out!

Signing off.
Macy

2 comments:

  1. I've felt the same about reading and writing at times! There are days when reading is just more appealing or easier than writing, and vice versa. I've been in a book slump lately but I'm really hoping to break out of it. I totally miss getting sucked into a book (even though it's only been two weeks)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete