Friday, February 13, 2015

Let me get you caught up on my reading spree...

The Ruby Red Series by Kerstin Gier

Ruby Red: Started- January 26, 2015.
                  Finished- February 6, 2015
                  Stars- 3.5/5
Sapphire Blue: Started-February 7, 2015
                  Finished- February 8, 2015
                  Stars- 4/5
Emerald Green: Started- February 8, 2015
                  Finished- February 11, 2015
                  Stars- 4/5

The first book took me a while to get into the first book. But when I hit maybe page 100 I was sucked in to the plot and the characters and just the fantastical idea of it all. This series was originally written in German and translated into English Anthea Bell.

I really loved Gwyneth as the main character. I felt like her friendship with Leslie was realistic and it felt natural. Often, a lot of the fantasy or sci-fi friendships feel like they are based off of the mission that is the plot or the conversation just doesn't feel natural. This one definitely did. They talked about normal things like movies or books or other people and Leslie was completely supportive and understand of Gwyneth's situation and what Gwyneth was doing.

Gideon and Gwyneth's relationship and banter was interesting and amusing to read. It seemed realistic and they way the two of them handled some of the situations were immature, but I think that was the point and really helped highlight that they were supposed to be immature and not know all the facts.

Charlotte. Well, during the first half of the first book, I didn't feel a whole lot of feeling towards her. I thought that Gwen was just dramatizing how mean Charlotte was, but then I found myself rolling my eyes along with Gwen at Charlotte and things Charlotte did and said. She was extremely well written.

Ever single character was so dynamic and diverse and that is something that is so difficult to do and Gier really hit the nail on the head. This plot was so well developed as well. There was so much research and history that went into this book and it was really impressive and interesting to read.

The only real issue with this book was that it left a lot of loose ends hanging up in the air. I still have so many questions that I feel the characters didn't solve or the author didn't mention. I won't mention them because I don't want to spoil anything for any future readers.

This book could totally have a fourth book or maybe a novella just so I could know what happens in the end and so everything could come full circle. I don't know. I might just be hung up on the characters and plot from this series and may just need to find a new world to immerse myself in to distract myself from real life and the fact that this world is finished.

Seriously. If you're skeptical of reading this book. Go read it.

[This book satisfied my "trilogy" check on my 2015 Reading Challenge.]


Yes Please by Amy Poehler
Started: January 14, 2015
Finished: January 29, 2015
Stars: 3/5

This book was hard for me to get through. I couldn't sit down and binge read the whole thing. Which is, honestly, what I expected from a memoir. I'm not a big memoir person. It's hard for me to be immersed in a book of only essays.

With that in mind, Amy Poehler is still funny in her writing. She's sarcastic and cracks jokes and I was impressed by her writing skills. I liked what she had to say about careers and divorce and marriage and raising kids. I think the publicity looks over the tougher parts of life, even for an actress. I enjoyed reading about her childhood and what she experienced. I think it really has a lot to say about the person she is now.

Based on her writing, she seems like a very level-headed person.

There was one essay that really bothered me though. I won't say which essay it was because I don't really remember what the title was and I don't have my book with me at the moment. But I know that it really unsettled me. After I finished it, I put the book down and questioned whether I wanted to continue reading it or not. I was really close to calling it quits right there.

But then I thought about my reading challenge books and how I really needed to check memoir off sooner or later. And one of my best friends swears by this book so I'd feel guilty if I didn't read it. (And my mom read it in a shorter amount of time than I did and I was feeling competitive. So please don't share that because I am very proud person.)

Overall I laughed right along with her as she told her experiences. I really laughed when Seth Meyers wrote a small portion.

[This book satisfied my memoir book on my 2015 reading challenge]



SOP: Something I need by Ben Haenow
(caution: the video is really... cheesy and I'm sorry in advance)

No comments:

Post a Comment